When my caring role ends

When my caring role ends

When your time as a carer comes to an end, it is important to tell the Department for Work and Pensions DWP of your change in circumstances as soon as you are able to. This ensures that you avoid any stress that can arise from an accidental over-payment of benefits which have to be returned to DWP.

If the person you cared for has died, your Carer’s Allowance will continue for up to eight weeks after their death. It is useful at this time to get a benefits check to check your current entitlement to other payments.

If you were caring for your spouse or civil partner, you may be entitled to claim a bereavement support payment. You can find more details about this payment at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/claiming-bereavement-support-payment/

If you are of working age when your Carer’s Allowance stops, you may be asked by the DWP to look for work in order to continue receiving benefits. You can apply for Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit if you are unable to find work straight away.  If you are not well enough to work, you can apply for employment and support allowance. You can apply for Jobseekers Allowance at https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

If you have reached state pension age, you may still be entitled to certain payments. More information can be found at https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/State-Pension-age-changes/State-Pension-age-and-other-benefits

I am in debt

Welfare Benefits

© 2022 Westbank. All Rights Reserved.